Welcome to the AltDD Project!
AltDD is a free accessibility software tool for people who want to use applications that require dragging and dropping but are unable to use a mouse due to physical limitations. AltDD allows users to use the keyboard in place of the mouse. In order to do this, AltDD allows the user to use the arrow keys to move the mouse, and the space bar to select (pick up) and unselect (drop) draggable items.
AltDD currently only supports Windows 7 and Windows 8
- Click the download link in the menu on the left side of this page (this will download an installer).
- Click the download to run the installer.
- Click YES on any prompts Windows gives you during the installation process.
- The installer will create a shortcut on your desktop to start AltDD. Double click this to start AltDD.
- AltDD should now be running on your computer!
Is AltDD Running?
Instructions: How to Use AltDD
After starting AltDD by double clicking the desktop shortcut, you can confirm AltDD is running by looking for the AltDD icon in the bottom-right-hand corner of the screen in Windows. AltDD has two modes: WAITING and STARTED. In the WAITING mode, you can use your keyboard like normal. In the STARTED mode, AltDD uses several of the keys on your keyboard to control the pointer on the screen. AltDD always starts in the WAITING mode.
- To put AltDD in the STARTED mode, press F12.
- When in the STARTED mode, you can use the following keys:
- SPACEBAR: Select or unselect a draggable item
- Up, Down, Right, and Left Arrows: Move the pointer on screen
- Left Ctrl: Single left click
- Left Shift: Double left click
- Right Ctrl: Single right click
- Right Shift: Double right click
- ESCAPE: Return to WAITING mode
- When you are in the WAITING mode, press ESCAPE to quit the AltDD program.