A National Investment for Leadership
in the 21st Century
This booklet uses case studies by industry leaders to
illustrate how multi-billion-dollar industries have
been created by modest federal investments in
fundamental research in information technology.
The case studies include:
Copies are available from:
- Database systems, by James N. Gray, Senior Researcher,
- Computer graphics, by Edward R. McCracken, Chairman
and Chief Executive Officer, Silicon Graphics, Inc.
- Reduced Instruction Set Computers (RISC), by
William N. Joy, Co-Founder and Vice President for
Research, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
- Computer communication networks, by Vinton G. Cerf,
Senior Vice President, Data Services Division, MCI
- Artificial intelligence, by David L. Waltz, Vice
President, Computer Science Rresearch, NEC Research
Computing Research Association
1100 Seventeenth Street N.W., Suite 507
Washington, DC 20036