I am a Ph.D. student at UW, working with Carlos Guestrin. I am also working closely with Luis Ceze and Arvind Krishnamurthy. I am a member of SAMPL Lab and MODE Lab. Prior to UW, I finished my Master Bachelor's degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
I am interested in the intersection of machine learning and systems. The real excitement of this area comes from what can enable when we bring advanced learning techniques and system together. On that end, I am also pushing the direction on deep learning, knowledge transfer and lifelong learning.
I built three machine learning systems that are widely adopted:
- TVM stack, an Automated End-to-End Optimizing Compiler for Deep Learning. Together with collaborators from SAMPL Lab, we co-design systems, machine learning algorithms, architecture, and programming language to enable future intelligent systems. Checkout our recent TVM and Deep Learning Compiler Conference.
- XGBoost, a scalable tree boosting system. It is one of the de-facto tools used by data scientists daily. You can find it in the production pipelines of the many major companies such as Uber, Airbnb, Amazon and Google Cloud. It has also been used to predict interesting physics events in LHC.
- Apache MXNet(co-creator) One of the major deep learning frameworks, it is currently adopted by AWS.
I am graduating in 2019, and am on the job market this year.
- Google Ph.D. Fellowship
- Champion of KDDCup 2012
- Runner up of KDDCup 2011
Activity and Services
- Organizer of the LearningSys workshop NeurIPS 2015.
- Reviewer of ICML, IJCAI, NeurIPS, ICLR, JMLR, TIST
University of Washington, 2013 - present
Ph.D. student with Carlos Guestrin.
Google Brain. Summer 2015 Research Intern with Ian Goodfellow.
Graphlab Inc. Summer 2014 Intern, main author of boosted tree and neural net toolkit in Graphlab Create.
Apex Data and Knowledge Management Lab, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. 2010-2013 Master Student with Yong Yu
System Biology Lab, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. 2010 - 2013 Visiting Student, with Ping Ao
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, Galway, Ireland. Winter 2011 Visiting Scholar.
Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China. Summer 2009. Research Intern, with Jun Yan.