Shyam Gollakota ( Also go by as Shyamnath Gollakota )
President, Jeeva Wireless
Co-founder, Sound Life Sciences
Co-founder, Edus Health
Associate Professor, Paul G. Allen School of CSE
Adjunct Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Adjunct Associate Professor, ECE
Director of UW Computing for Health
Director of UW Networks & Mobile Systems Lab
Room 568, Paul G. Allen Center
University of Washington
Box 352350, Seattle, WA 98195
I am an associate professor in the Allen School of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington. I lead the Networks and Mobile Systems and Computing for Health groups. My group’s research is driven by curiosity to ask questions that push the boundaries of what is possible across various topics including computer networks, bio-robotics, computational health, mobile systems and ubiquitous computing. I earned my M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and my B.Tech. degree from IIT Madras.
- NYTimes op-ed on using smart devices for COVID19 early detection
- Read our privacy-preserving protocols for contact tracing while upholding civil liberties
- Serving on the ACM MobiCom steering committee
- Check out our two-year long effort on creating TinySDR, an IoT radio platform
- Shared thoughts on mobile health with Geekwire Health Tech podcast
- Check out our work on using white noise for infant monitoring
- Check out our work on Living IoT for insects (NBC News, Forbes, Seattle times)
- Presented our bio-robotics work at the Amazon AI Summit (slides)
- First wireless fly-sized drone takes off (IEEE Spectrum, Economist, Wired)
- Nature npj Digital Medicine paper on contactless cardiac arrest detection (Bloomberg, Stat News, Digital Trends)
- Science Translational Medicine paper on middle ear fluid detection with smartphones (NYTimes, NPR)
- Edus Health commercializing our work on ear infection detection
- Science Translational Medicine paper on opioid overdose detection (Scientific American, Washington Post)
- Sound Life Sciences commericalizing our work on smartphone-based overdose detection
- Printed Analytics listed as one of amazing things 3D printed in 2018
- uLocate wins best paper award at SenSys 2018
- LoRa backscatter awarded distingushed paper award at UbiComp
- SleepScore app by ResMed uses our active sonar technology for sleep staging
- ResMed licenses our active sonar system for sleep apnea and staging
- Program chair for MobiCom 2019 spearheading the new two-deadline format
- Thanks to Google for the faculty award
- Paul Allen's team highlights three of our projects
- Powering smartphones across a room (Forbes,Wired)
- Vikram Iyer wins the 2018 Microsoft Research Ph.D. fellowship
- Vamsi Talla wins both the 2017 SIGCOMM as well as SIGMOBILE dissertation awards!!
- Enabling plastic objects to communicate over Wi-Fi (video)
- Data storage on clothes without electronics (Scientific American,Technology Review)
- Backscatter at a kilometer range (Economist,Tech Review)
- Organizing the exciting UW MSR institute on Unpacking the Future of IoT
- Battery-free phone (NYtimes, CNN, Forbes, Wired)
- Thanks to the community for the SIGMOBILE RockStar Award 2017
- Named as a Forbes All-Star Alumni 2017
- Sending passwords over the body (Wall Street Journal,
- First Wi-Fi contact lens prototype awarded Best Paper Award at SIGCOMM 2016
- Named one of five CNN Visionaries 2020
- Passive Wi-Fi awarded the best paper award at NSDI 2016
- FingerIO wins Honorable Mention Award at CHI 2016
- Passive Wi-Fi named one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2016
Graduate Students and Mentees
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar (Ph.D., assistant Prof at Cornell, Marconi Young Scholar)
Vamsi Talla (Postdoc, CTO of Jeeva Wireless, SIGMOBILE Dissertation award, SIGCOMM Dissertation award)
Bryce Kellogg (M.S., co-founder Jeeva Wireless)
I also worked closely with Vincent Liu (now assistant Prof at U. Penn) and Aaron Parks (co-founder Jeeva Wireless)
- SenSys Best Paper Award, 2018
- IMWUT Distinguished Paper Award, 2018
- SIGMOBILE RockStar Award, 2017
- Forbes 30 under 30 All-Star Alumni, 2017
- Popular Science Brilliant Ten, 2016
- SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2016
- Visionaries 2020, CNN, 2016
- NSDI Best Paper Award, 2016
- 10 Tech Breakthroughs, MIT Tech Review, 2016
- World Technology Award, Communication Technology, 2015
- CoMotion Presidential Innovation Fellow, 2015
- NSF Career Award, 2015
- Alfred Sloan Fellowship, 2015
- Forbes 30 under 30 Energy, 2015
- Technology Review TR35, Innovators Under the Age of 35, 2014
- ACM MOBICOM Best Paper Award, 2013
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2013
- George M. Sprowls Award for Best Dissertation in CS, MIT, 2013
- ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2012
- ACM SIGCOMM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2012
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2011
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2008
- William A. Martin SM Thesis Award, 2008
- IIT Madras Institute Award in Computer Science, 2006
- TinySDR: Low-Power SDR Platform for Over-the-Air Programmable IoT Testbeds
Mehrdard Hessar, Ali Najafi, Vikram Iyer and Shyam Gollakota.
- Identifying Pediatric Vascular Anomalies With Deep Learning
Justin Chan, Sharat Raju, Randall Bly, Jonathan Perkins and Shyam Gollakota.
- Contactless Infant Monitoring using White Noise
Anran Wang, Jacob Sunshine and Shyam Gollakota.
Contactless cardiac arrest detection using smart devices (pdf)
Justin Chan, Thomas Rea, Shyam Gollakota and Jacob Sunshine.
npj Digital Medicine, 2019
- Detecting middle ear fluid using smartphones (pdf)
Justin Chan, Sharat Raju, Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Randall Bly and Shyam Gollakota.
Science Translational Medicine, 2019
- MilliSonic: Pushing the Limits of Acoustic Motion Tracking
Anran Wang and Shyam Gollakota.
- Opioid Overdose Detection Using Smartphones (pdf)
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Shyam Gollakota and Jacob Sunshine.
Science Translational Medicine, 2019
- Living IoT: A Flying Wireless Platform on Live Insects
Vikram Iyer, Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Anran Wang, Sawyer Fuller and Shyam Gollakota.
- NetScatter: Enabling Large-Scale Backscatter Networks
Mehrdad Hessar, Ali Najafi and Shyam Gollakota.
- 3D Localization for Sub-Centimeter Sized Devices (Best Paper Award)
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Vikram Iyer and Shyam Gollakota.
- Wireless Analytics for 3D Printed Objects (Most amazing things 3D printed in 2018)
Vikram Iyer, Justin Chan, Ian Culhane, Jennifer Mankoff and Shyam Gollakota.
- Surface MIMO: Using Conductive Surfaces for MIMO Between Small Devices
Justin Chan, Anran Wang, Vikram Iyer and Shyam Gollakota.
- Liftoff of a 190 mg Laser-Powered Aerial Vehicle: The Lightest Wireless Robot to Fly
Johannes James, Vikram Iyer, Yogesh Chukewad, Shyam Gollakota, Sawyer Fuller.
- Towards Battery-Free HD Video Streaming
Saman Naderiparizi, Mehrdad Hessar, Vamsi Talla, Shyam Gollakota and Josh Smith.
- Charging a Smartphone Across a Room Using Lasers
Vikram Iyer, Elyas Bayati, Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Arka Majumdar and Shyam Gollakota.
- 3D Printing Wireless Connected Objects
Vikram Iyer, Justin Chan and Shyam Gollakota.
- Data Storage and Interaction using Magnetized Fabric
Justin Chan and Shyam Gollakota.
- Covertband: Activity Information Leakage using Music
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Alex Takakuwa, Yoshi Kohno and Shyam Gollakota.
- LoRa Backscatter: Enabling the Vision of Ubiquitous Connectivity (Distinguished Paper Award)
Vamsi Talla, Mehrdad Hassar, Bryce Kellogg, Ali Najafi, Josh Smith and Shyam Gollakota.
- Battery-free Cellphone
Vamsi Talla, Bryce Kellogg, Shyam Gollakota and Josh Smith.
- FM Backscatter: Enabling Connected Cities and Smart Fabrics
Anran Wang, Vikram Iyer, Vamsi Talla, Josh Smith and Shyam Gollakota.
- Enabling On-Body Transmissions with Commodity Devices
Mehrdad Hessar, Vikram Iyer and Shyam Gollakota.
- Inter-Technology Backscatter: Towards Internet Connectivity for Implanted Devices (Best Paper Award)
Vikram Iyer, Vamsi Talla, Bryce Kellogg, Shyam Gollakota and Josh Smith.
- FingerIO: Using Active Sonar for Fine-Grained Finger Tracking (Honorable Mention Award)
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Vikram Iyer, Shyam Gollakota, and Desney Tan.
- Passive Wi-Fi: Bringing Low Power to Wi-Fi Transmissions (Best Paper Award)
Bryce Kellogg, Vamsi Talla, Shyam Gollakota, and Josh Smith.
- Leveraging Dual-Observable Input
for Fine-Grained Thumb Interaction Using Forearm EMG
Donny Huang, Xiaoyi Zhang, Scott Saponas, James Fogarty, and Shyam Gollakota.
- Powering the Next Billion Devices With Wi-Fi (Best Paper Nominee)
Vamsi Talla, Bryce Kellogg, Ben Ransford, Saman Naderiparizi, Shyam Gollakota, and Josh Smith.
ACM CoNext 2015
- Contactless Sleep Apnea Detection on Smartphones (Best Paper Nominee)
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Shyam Gollakota, and Nathaniel Watson.
ACM MobiSys, 2015
- A Contactless System for Respiratory
Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, Shyam Gollakota, and Nathaniel Watson.
Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, 2015 (Oral Presentation)
- Feasibility and Limits of Wi-Fi Imaging
Donny Huang, Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, and Shyam Gollakota.
ACM SenSys, 2014
- Enabling Instantaneous Feedback with Full-Duplex Backscatter
Vincent Liu, Vamsi Talla, and Shyam Gollakota.
ACM MOBICOM, 2014
- Wi-Fi Backscatter: Internet Connectivity for RF-Powered Devices
Bryce Kellogg, Aaron Parks, Shyam Gollakota, Josh Smith, and David Wetherall.
- Turbocharging Ambient Backscatter Communication
Angli Liu, Aaron Parks, Shyam Gollakota, and Josh Smith.
ACM SIGCOMM, 2014
- Non-Invasive Tongue Machine Interface
Qiao Zhang, Shyam Gollakota, Ben Taskar, and Raj Rao.
- Bringing Gesture Recognition to All Devices
Bryce Kellogg, Vamsi Talla, and Shyam Gollakota.
- The Emergence of RF-Powered Computing
Shyam Gollakota, Matt Reynolds, Josh Smith, and David Wetherall.
IEEE Computer Magazine, 2014
Whole-Home Gesture Recognition Using Wireless Signals (Best Paper Award)
Qifan Pu, Sidhant Gupta, Shyam Gollakota, and Shwetak Patel.
Ambient Backscatter: Wireless Communication out of Thin Air (Best Paper Award)
Vincent Liu, Aaron Parks, Vamsi Talla, Shyam Gollakota, David Wetherall, and Josh Smith.
Embracing Interference in Wireless Systems (ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award)
MIT Ph.D. Thesis, September 2012.
- Pre-UW Publications