Shyam Gollakota ( Also go by as Shyamnath Gollakota )
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Networks & Mobile Systems
Room 550, Paul G. Allen Center
University of Washington
Box 352350, Seattle, WA 98195
I am an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington. I lead the Networks and Mobile Systems Lab and work on various topics including computer networks, human-computer interaction and mobile health. I earned my M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and my B.Tech. degree from IIT Madras.
- Tech Review, cnet, Slashdot, PCWorld, and others cover battery-free Wi-Fi connectivity
- Xconomy, Slashdot, Seattle Business Magazine and others cover AllSee
- New York Times, Tech Review, Slate, Times, Scientific American, and other media outlets cover Ambient Backscatter
- BBC, NBC News, Washington Post, Wired, and other media outlets cover WiSee
- Battery-free Computing and Communication. Wi-Fi Backscatter, Ambient Backscatter,
Turbocharging Backscatter, Full-Duplex Backscatter
- Wireless Gesture Recognition and Wi-Fi Imaging. WiSee, AllSee, Off-the-Shelf Wi-Fi gestures, Wi-Fi Imaging
- Mobile Health. Tongue Machine Interface
- Older Projects. ZigZag Decoding, TIMO, 802.11n+, Practical Interference Alignment, Analog Network Coding, TurboRate, OpenRF, MoMIMO, Password-Free Wireless Security, Securing Medical Implants
- AllSee (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Qifan Pu (WiSee, Berkeley Grad)
- NSF Career Award, 2015
- Alfred Sloan Fellowship, 2015
- Forbes 30 under 30 Energy, 2015
- Technology Review TR35, Innovators Under the Age of 35, 2014
- ACM MOBICOM Best Paper Award, 2013
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2013
- George M. Sprowls Award for Best Dissertation in CS, MIT, 2013
- ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2012
- ACM SIGCOMM Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2012
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2011
- ACM SIGCOMM Best Paper Award, 2008
- William A. Martin SM Thesis Award, 2008
- IIT Madras Institute Award in Computer Science, 2006
- Feasibility and Limits of Wi-Fi Imaging
Donny Huang, Rajalakshmi Nandakumar, and Shyam Gollakota.
ACM SenSys, 2014
- Enabling Instantaneous Feedback with Full-Duplex Backscatter
Vincent Liu, Vamsi Talla, and Shyam Gollakota.
ACM MOBICOM, 2014
- Wi-Fi Backscatter: Internet Connectivity for RF-Powered Devices
Bryce Kellogg, Aaron Parks, Shyam Gollakota, Josh Smith, and David Wetherall.
ACM SIGCOMM, 2014
- Turbocharging Ambient Backscatter Communication
Angli Liu, Aaron Parks, Shyam Gollakota, and Josh Smith.
ACM SIGCOMM, 2014
- Non-Invasive Tongue Machine Interface
Qiao Zhang, Shyam Gollakota, Ben Taskar, and Raj Rao.
- Bringing Gesture Recognition to All Devices
Bryce Kellogg, Vamsi Talla, and Shyam Gollakota.
- The Emergence of RF-Powered Computing
Shyam Gollakota, Matt Reynolds, Josh Smith, and David Wetherall.
IEEE Computer Magazine, 2014
Whole-Home Gesture Recognition Using Wireless Signals (Best Paper Award)
Qifan Pu, Sidhant Gupta, Shyam Gollakota, and Shwetak Patel.
ACM MOBICOM, 2013
Ambient Backscatter: Wireless Communication out of Thin Air (Best Paper Award)
Vincent Liu, Aaron Parks, Vamsi Talla, Shyam Gollakota, David Wetherall, and Josh Smith.
ACM SIGCOMM, 2013
Embracing Interference in Wireless Systems (ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award)
MIT Ph.D. Thesis, September 2012.
- Pre-UW Publications